Using the ICF Core Sets for hand conditions: Lighthouse Project Hand
From 2011-2016, the Research Unit for Biopsychosocial Health at the Ludwig-Maximilians Universität München (LMU Munich) and the Department of Hand Surgery, Plastic- and Microsurgery at the BG Hospital Hamburg (Germany) conducted the Lighthouse Project Hand to operationalise, implement and use the Brief ICF Core Set for Hand Conditions as a monitoring tool in the treatment and rehabilitation of persons with hand conditions in the institutions of the statutory accident insurance (Deutsche Gesetzliche Unfallversicherung - DGUV) in Germany. The project team of Lighthouse Project Hand developed data collection, scoring and reporting tools to assess and report on functioning information in a standardized way. Specifically, the ICF HandA was developed, an ICF-based assessment set that can be used to systematically assess functioning of patients with hand injuries and disorders in clinical practice, from acute patient care to return to work. The ICF HandA contains outcome measures and clinical tests. The ICF HandA was integrated into an electronic data collection tool (e-tool) that allows generating structured reports in a standardized way, specifying patients’ current functioning status and considering environmental factors besides additional information, such as ICD-10 diagnoses, treatments performed and patients’ future needs. Also developed were ICF-based treatment guidelines that define assessment time points using the ICF HandA for specific injuries and diseases, as well as case studies that illustrate the use of ICF HandA, and the treatment guidelines. Implementing the e-tool Hand in hospitals is a currently ongoing work-in-progress [2-6].
- Rudolf KD, et al. Development of the ICF core sets for hand conditions - results of the World Health Organization International Consensus process. Disabil Rehabil 2012;34(8):681-693. Abstract
- Coenen M et al. ICF Core Sets der Hand - Entwicklung und Anwendung in der klinischen Praxis. Trauma und Berufskrankheit 2018. Abstract
- Kus S, et al. ICF: Development of an assessment set to evaluate functioning based on the Brief ICF Core Set for Hand Conditions - ICF HandA. J Hand Surg Eur 2017; 42(7):731-741. Abstract
- Kus S, et al. Lighthouse Project Hand. Providing health information to key healthcare actors... Poster C527 presented at the WHO-FIC Annual Meeting 2015 in Manchester, UK. Meeting website
- Kus S, et al. Launching the ICF-based assessment - the ICF HandA - by using the online presence of the Lighthouse Project Hand. Poster C532 presentated at the WHO-FIC Annual Meeting 2016 in Tokyo, Japan. Meeting website
- Kus S, et al. Development of case studies to illustrate the standardized data collection and reporting of functioning in persons with hand conditions. Poster C511 WHO-FIC Annual Meeting 2017 in Mexico City, Mexico. Meeting website